Window sending across desktops errors

Topics: Problems
Oct 15, 2007 at 11:21 PM
First of all, thanks for the great tool, this certainly helps in productivity.

I have encountered a couple of problems with the process of transferring windows across desktops, I am not sure if someone else has already noted this before.

Whenever I use WinW to send a window to another desktop, the Send Window to Desktop 1 is always greyed out. Furthermore, if I send a window to the same desktop, the window disappears, but the process remains (have to kill process via task manager). Also, I cannot get WinCtrl+numpad1..9 to work, it doesn't have any effect.

Finally, I also noticed that applications that require administrator access remain as stickies in all desktops. Probably if I'd run VDM in administrator mode, this would fix the issue, but something to keep in mind.

Have you encountered these errors before?
Coordinator
Nov 1, 2007 at 11:00 PM
Okay, I've fixed the "Send Window to Desktop 1" disabled menu item bug for the next release. The reason that Windows Key + Control + Numpad 1...9 doesn't work is because of a simple typo. Basically, I made the default setting "Shift + Numpad 1...9" instead. All you have to do is go into the options and change the "Send Window To Desktop X" hotkey to use Windows and Control instead of Shift. I fixed the typo, and the default will be correct in the next release.

Unfortunately, there is no way I can find to fix working with administrative programs. I'd try making VVDM always run as an administrator by going into Program Files\Vista Virtual Desktops and going to the properties of the main executable. Then go to the compatibility tab and check "Run as an administrator."

Thanks for pointing these out!