Is there anyway to change the icon setup on individual desktops?

Topics: How To, Idea Requests
Jun 14, 2010 at 6:10 AM
When I delete or move icons from one desktop, I don't want that to happen on all of them. Is there anyway to change this, or is there another program that provides this? Thanks.
Oct 17, 2012 at 2:06 PM
Edited Oct 17, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Bump, on behalf of the original poster!

Any progress on this?  This is a very useful feature.  Without this, it's really an application-switcher, and not a Desktop switcher.

Has anyone ever used this, that they would know what this means?

StarOffice5.2 (but not the following versions) included the ability to display multiple virtual desktops (an unlimited number, I imagine -- my own use never went over ten).  As morganlefay23 asks, yes, the icons (Bookmarks, file folders, etc.) changed with the Desktops

The user's icon grouping on the desktop was preserved, and desktops were individualized with different colors and/or images. 

The arrangement that was used was extremely stable, but unfortunately worked only while in the office suite.  And, although it was coded over 10 (15??) years ago, and can be made to run even on Windows 7, doing so is not easy -- this is legacy software by now.  So it now only serves as an example of how this could be made to work. 

We would be most grateful if anyone could duplicate this behavior to provide a true Desktop-switcher, the operating-system level, so users could enjoy these benefits in combination with current software.