Start an application on desktop X

Topics: Idea Requests
Feb 8, 2008 at 11:34 AM
I think it would be cool to have some way to start an application on a given desktop number like for example by passing the parameter to vdm, like "Virtual Desktops.exe -p notepad.exe -d 2" to start the notepad on the desktop number 2, or via a context menu.

Another thing I think would be very useful is having the option to define some programs to run as soon as vdm starts, defining on which desktop to run. eg. I start vdm and firefox starts on desktop 1, windows media player on desktop 2, etc.

btw, this software is great, thanks a lot for developing it!
Feb 20, 2008 at 7:06 PM
Edited Feb 20, 2008 at 7:06 PM
I absolutely agree. With Leopard's Spaces, programs open up into whatever space you assign. It's a really nice feature.

I think it would also be good to have the appropriate desktop come into focus when you click a link or open a document. So if you click an internet shortcut in one desktop, it would switch to the desktop with your browser.
Apr 11, 2008 at 7:51 PM
Me Too

i load anywhere from four to twelve apps into each of four desktops -- my machine takes a while to boot, launching all these things via a script stored in my Start folder. and then i spend more time than i enjoy in Windows Key-Z mode shuffling aps around, arranging them. and then i start the day's work. the result is fabulous -- i can switch rapidly from the 'app development' desktop to the 'operations desktop' to the 'documentation desktop' and so forth, dramatic productivity booster

but i sure would like to automate that 'shuffle apps between desktops' phase at the beginning of the day. the "Virtual Desktops.exe -p notepad.exe -d 2" syntax would work well for me

--sk
Coordinator
May 6, 2008 at 11:08 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I have added a new feature to the next release that allows you to create program rules that lock any program onto a specific desktop. I will also have command line options that communicate with the already running VVDM application to start programs (that don't have rules already made for them) in a specific desktop. For ease of code, it will probably be "number/name:program" ex. "2:notepad.exe" or, since desktops will be able to be named, "Work:notepad.exe" for a desktop named "Work." This will all be available in the next release.
May 8, 2008 at 2:10 PM
sounds like that would meet my needs

i also like the idea of being able to name desktops -- helpful organizational function

--sk
May 9, 2008 at 6:13 PM

zhuman wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions. I have added a new feature to the next release that allows you to create program rules that lock any program onto a specific desktop. I will also have command line options that communicate with the already running VVDM application to start programs (that don't have rules already made for them) in a specific desktop. For ease of code, it will probably be "number/name:program" ex. "2:notepad.exe" or, since desktops will be able to be named, "Work:notepad.exe" for a desktop named "Work." This will all be available in the next release.

Hi,
Can you implement a command line option to change a current running application to a different desktop?
Thanks!