Switching to a desktop always chooses the wrong window to focus

Topics: Idea Requests
Mar 29, 2011 at 1:17 AM

This evening I'm doing work in two desktops.  I have the browser in one desktop, and in another desktop I have my IDE and an application window. I'm switching back and forth between the browser desktop and the IDE desktop.

Every single time I switch to the IDE desktop, it gives the focus to the application window, so I have to do Alt-TAB to switch to the IDE.  This is really annoying.

Finestra should keep track of what windows are in focus in each desktop, so when I switch back to that desktop, it can give focus to the last window that had focus in that desktop. That saves an extra step for me every time I switch to a desktop that I'm switching to often, but mainly using a single window in that desktop.

May 2, 2011 at 4:25 PM
Edited May 2, 2011 at 4:26 PM

i have exactly the same problem. Is terrible anoying. The order of the used windows should not be changed for any motive when switching desktops. I found that the least used window in any desktop is the window that get the focus. That break all the mru order, because perhaps doing one alt-tab to set the focus in the window that i want, now the second position in the mru list will have that least window, not what it suposse to be in there.

May 2, 2011 at 4:40 PM

What's curious is that I've seen this exact same symptom in a completely different vwm, "windowspager". The author hasn't been able to repeat the problem.

I've also looked at another similar tool, "Dexpot".  I've tested a similar scenario with this, and it does not display this symptom.

May 2, 2011 at 7:20 PM
Edited May 2, 2011 at 7:21 PM

@dkarr you are right. I'm using dexpot right know as you say the order is correctly mantained. The winning feature that has Finestra agains dexpot is the posiblity to shutdown the hotkeys, and the full desktops switcher, but again this last feature has very weird problems with the MRU order.

Other thing that i found about the error in desktop switching is that occurs with windows that are not maximized. if the most active window is maximed then the order is mantained.

With switcher i can find what is doing, some windows hide other windows with out any meaning.

A third problem that i found is that Win+F9 only make a semi transparent dark background appears. Non windows are show.