Per desktop icons

Topics: Idea Requests
Jun 25, 2008 at 2:27 PM
Thanks for the great program. I can now use it after the implementation of separate program display per window. I wish I knew before hand !
Is it possible to have a custom icons per desktop just like custom background where I can have a design desktop with only my design applications icons showing up and similar for publishing text and office documents ?

Thanks again.

Coordinator
Jul 6, 2008 at 5:03 PM
This is easily the most requested feature. Unfortunately, I cannot think of any good way to do it. If anyone else has any technical suggestions, that would be helpful. However, I would like to keep away from "hacks" (e.g. implementing my own desktop and parenting its window to the real desktop).
Jul 7, 2008 at 8:36 PM

Two potential solutions:

1. Can you hide desktop icons by placing them (way) outside the desktop's viewable boundaries? If so, then you could just move each desktop's icons into and out-of view when the user switches desktops. But, even if it does work, it is slightly hackish. You'd also have to capture screen resolution changes, to see if you have to move the icons further out of view.

2. Most desktop icons are .lnk files, which are stored in the current user's profile folder. You could create some subfolders, call them Desktop 1's Icons, Desktop 2's Icons, etc. When the user switches desktops, move the .lnk files into and out of the profile folder. Windows will then update the desktop. You'd also need to find the place where Windows stores the icon positions, and make sure you save/restore those values, too. Also, make your new subfolders hidden so that only power users with the "show hidden files and folders" property set will be able to see them; these subfolders will then show up the same on any desktop.

I like #2 the best, and it shouldn't have to rely on any undocumented behavior.

And one mostly unrelated feature request:

Could you please make your "Recover Desktop Windows" dialog box be an "always on top" window? This would greatly speed up the process of restoring 10-30 windows across six desktops.

Then maybe you could add a button or something to show/restore the desktop icons.

...and a big Thank-You!

P.S. http://www.osnews.com has a rotating "ad" space where the OSNews staff "plug" free programs that they use personally, e.g. Paint.Net, Programmer's Notepad, etc. Maybe you could email them about VVDM? IMO, the 1.0 release will fit perfectly there.

Coordinator
Jul 7, 2008 at 10:40 PM
I've considered number 2 a little, but I don't really like it. I might be able to just hide some icons somehow (and LVM message maybe), but I don't want it to be too messy. From what I can see, sending messages to the desktop's listview requires that one inject a DLL into Explorer's address space). I'll continue looking into it.

As for your second request, yes, I don't know why I hadn't thought of that before. It will be in the next version.
Jul 2, 2011 at 2:22 PM

Hi. I'm just wondering if there is still some activity on the icons per desktop front? I really like Finestra but not being able to have different sets of icons makes me go look for options. 

Cheers for an otherwise really nice software!