Popup Windows "jumps" to current desktop :(

Topics: How To
Feb 21, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Hello,

I have some windows minimized on "Desktop 2" and I'm working on "Desktop 1". Because of the "nature" of these applications running on desktop 2 sometimes they are automatically restored and focused. The problem is that every time a window restore and get focus, it is automatically moved to the desktop and I really would like it to be restored in the desktop it is placed, not moving to the current desktop I'm using.

Does anybody know if it is posible to "anchor" these windows to the desktop I put them in?. I have gone though the finestra options but have not found anything.

Thanks in advance.

Ps: I don't want to use a "program rule" because I have multiple instances og a program and I want some in one desktop and some in the other.

Coordinator
Feb 25, 2012 at 1:23 PM

You'll be happy to know I just added a way to get this effect into the code. With the next release (I should be releasing it shortly) you will be able to pin a process to a given desktop without any configuration at all. Simply select a window from the process you want to pin and bring up the Finestra window menu (Win + W by default). Then, simply select "Pin process to desktop X". Let me know what you think. I'll probably add some more varied and prettier options in this area in the next, next release.

Feb 26, 2012 at 10:54 AM

That sounds really good! :)

Unfortunatelly, I'm with version 2.1.4277.41337 because when I install latest 2.5.4500.0, and I start Finestra, my Windows 7 detects a problem and stops running Finestra :(((. I have tried to unistall and reinstall, but nothing :(. Cleared the registry with CCleaner but nothing... the latest version does not fit with my Windows 7. 

Could I send you some kind of log (what?) to give you a clue?.

Thanks

Coordinator
Feb 27, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Try installing the Visual C++ 2010 redistributable: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=5555. I should have included it in the installation, but it's installed on most PC's already and slipped through my testing. Let me know if this fixes it for you. Thanks!

Feb 27, 2012 at 8:30 PM
Edited Feb 27, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Worked like a Charm!! :)

I had fomated my PC recently and didn't had Visual C++ 2010 redistributable installed.

Thank you very much... you have made an incredible work with Finestra... I'll wait impatiently "pinned window" funcionallity :)

Coordinator
Feb 28, 2012 at 4:27 AM

Actually, I put that pinned window function into the bug fix release, so you should be able to use it right away!

Feb 28, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Hi Again,

Based on your other note, I just downloaded the latest bug fix release, but that still seemed to have the finestra startup failure on my system. So I installed the VC++ kit as noted below and the start up issue went away. However, I then ran into other issues. After Finestra came up, if I went to my task bar, a black outlined Pacman like icon would pop up and my desktop would randomly switch. This didn’t happen all of the time, but probably about 60% of the time. I was able to get back to the right desktop by using the mini toolbar. However after a few times of doing this, I got a .net violation and finestra crashed. I don’t have any logs to share.

I’ve since reverted to 2.1 of Finestra which is working wonderfully….

Thanks,

t

Sent: Monday, February 27, 2012 10:02 AM
To: Sweeney, Tom (MSL)
Subject: Re: Popup Windows "jumps" to current desktop :( [vdm:336720]

Try installing the Visual C++ 2010 redistributable: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=5555. I should have included it in the installation, but it's installed on most PC's already and slipped through my testing. Let me know if this fixes it for you. Thanks!

Feb 28, 2012 at 4:46 PM

This is beacuse Options -> Inteface -> Mouse edge switching funtionallity

The pacman is no other that a time-clock with the dealy you have to keep your mouse in the edge of the screen in order to move to another desktop, so it gets you the posibility to move from one desktop to other just with placing your mouse on the edge of the screen and holding it there the delay established in options.

You can "kill the pacman" disabling Mouse edge switching check.

Feb 28, 2012 at 8:34 PM
zhuman wrote:

Actually, I put that pinned window function into the bug fix release, so you should be able to use it right away!

Arrgh! :((... this pin the window to all the desktops... I would like a "Pin window to Desktop X" option, in the same way you can pin a process to a specific desktop.