For Future Releases...

Topics: Idea Requests
May 2, 2007 at 12:04 AM
...any chance of seperate desktop wallpapers for the different dt's?

Might already be a feature but if it is I cannot get it to work.

Also combined with that to be able to set up each desktop differently (ie sidebar or no sidebar, different icons etc etc) would really set this app up nicely.

Also the Expose stuff sounds interesting - I already use Switcher (by Bao Ngeyuen) but having one app do it all would be good.

As others have said a 3d cube like asthetic whilst switching would be nice but not essential.

Cheers

Malc
May 2, 2007 at 2:14 AM
I'm also using switcher. Works very well.
May 2, 2007 at 9:37 AM
Instead of the cube thing - in my opinion - it would be a more useful feature if the windows were sliding offscreen like in OS X Spaces.
Coordinator
May 5, 2007 at 11:14 PM
I was thinking of something like the sliding windows of Mac OS X Spaces. A 3D cube is basically impossible if I am going to be using Vista live thumbnails. I will probably have "show all windows", "show all windows in this app", and perhaps "show desktop". "Show desktop" seems pointless since it is already built into windows and an animation would only make it slower, and it also might pose technical issues. I'm not exactly sure when I will get those features implemented. Maybe the version after next. Vista RC1, which I have been using to build and test it, expires June 1st. So, I will probably add Windows XP support in the next version and a mini preview. Then the new expose features will be in the version after that.
May 7, 2007 at 7:02 AM
Sounds good - like the idea of the sliding dt's. Do you think you'll be able to code in the ability to use different desktop set ups (wallpaper/icons/sidebar/no sidebar etc)?

Hope you manage to get a proper version of Vista after RC1 runs out, be a shame for you not to complete your project through inability to test it. Also, thought thats cool your planning to sort out XP users.

Nice work

Cheers
Malc
Coordinator
May 7, 2007 at 7:50 PM
Oh yeah, sorry for not replying to that. I will definitely have that option soon. I will keep the selected background for each desktop stored along with pattern type, etc. You will be able to change the background through the normal control panel, and it will simply update the setting for the current desktop. This will be in the next version.
May 7, 2007 at 9:44 PM
Nice one!!

Looking forward to it.

Malc
May 13, 2008 at 7:25 AM
I love this program.  Thanks so much for taking the time to develop it

I was wondering what your thoughts were on the OS X Spaces sliding effect.  Is it a lost cause or are you still planning to find a way to implement it?

Thanks again!

JAcK
Coordinator
May 14, 2008 at 9:37 PM
After investigating performance, I think that it would be much too slow to be done. Full-screen graphics and animation does not like to work in a period of one or two seconds. Even if I could get the animation smooth, there would still be a massive delay in it starting, especially if you expect it to be instantaneous. If Microsoft opened up the Desktop Window Manager a little more, it would be trivial, but even if they do, it certainly won't be until a later version of Windows. Sorry, Zach