Dual Monitors and VDM

Topics: Idea Requests, Problems
Jun 1, 2007 at 3:43 AM
Edited Jun 1, 2007 at 6:26 AM
Nice program first of all! I use dual monitors for web development and image editing and use Abobe's CS3 line of products.

Since I use these applications with a dual monitor workspace layout, I have always used a VDM to switch workspaces to reduce the need to minimize and such and Im a big fan or keyboard hotkeys.

I tried it and loved it but dual monitor support is minimal and Adobe new Photoshop CS3 creates floating objects (like toolbars) that are on top and stay on top on new desktops when switching to a new one. Dreamweaver on the other hand, disappears like it should, but only when the screen is clicked.

The application seems to hang when trying to change desktops, specially when there is programs open on both monitors. This happens if I use the switcher graphically. The thumbnails don't work and all I see is blank grey squares, including the taskbar flyout. I use the Windows key and the arrows to move around since is fast and easy.

So please, better support for dual monitors. Mu issues are that the switch box pops up on both monitors and displays the image from that monitor on the thumbnail and the hang time of the graphical elements. It would be cool if it only appeared on the main monitor (or could be configured to do so) with a thumbnail of the 2 or 3, 4 etc monitors together in a smaller thumbnail size.

For screenshots, click:
Pic 1 Funky problem with dual monitor and the screen switcher
Pic 2 Photoshop's tools stay on screen even if its clicked
Pic 3How I use Photoshop

Again, cool program and looking froward for updates!
Coordinator
Jun 5, 2007 at 7:30 PM
Edited Jun 5, 2007 at 7:31 PM
When I designed the multiple monitor support for VVDM, I never really considered those who spread individual windows across multiple monitors. I'm not really sure how to fix that. The floating toolbars however are very strange. If they are children of the main window, they should hide correctly. I'll have to download the trial of photoshop to figure out why it is acting as it is. Thanks for pointing both of these issues out.
Coordinator
Jun 5, 2007 at 7:38 PM
By the way, when you say the thumbnails "don't work", you mean that they display small window frames with a gray background and the app's icon, right? If so, that is something I cannot control. It is a weird effect that Vista's thumbnail engine has. It stems from the fact that most windows don't want to paint themselves if they are not currently visible. In order to counter this, I have thought about using the same method I will be using when I add XP support to show thumbnails for hidden windows. In other words, this will be fixed as soon as I add XP support.
Jun 5, 2007 at 9:19 PM
I don't have a spanned desktop, its a true dual setup.

I use a program called UltraMon to create taskbars on secondary monitors and better drag and drops across monitors. This app is a must or any multi monitor setup.

As seen on Pic 1, I had Firefox and IE maximized each one on its own monitor on the second virtual desktop and had Photoshop stretched into the second monitor to show the tools on the primary desktop. The third and fourth desktops had no windows open.
Jun 19, 2007 at 10:54 AM
Just posting to say that I have had the exact same problem (dual monitor + Photoshop CS3).

Also I've found that sometimes windows disappear.
Say I have IE open in one desktop.
I move to another desktop but when I move back to the first one, IE is gone.
The process is still open though.
I have to close the process, then restart the app.
(Not sure if this is related to dual screen setup or not)

I've moved over to YODM3D until the next version of VDM (which will support multimon?).
It's nice, but the eye candy is getting distracting and it's really laggy sometimes.
Also what about more than 2 screens?
I am normally on a 3 screen setup, but one of my LCDs broke :(
I will get a new one soon and I hope VDM will support 2+ screens!

Great work so far on this project! It's a life saver, well nearly!

PS: Ultramon does indeed rock my proverbial socks
Coordinator
Jun 20, 2007 at 2:42 PM
Although I'm not completely sure about Photoshop CS3, VVDM normally fully supports multiple monitor setups with only a few quirks here and there. If you're using the latest version of VVDM, you can easily restore windows using the "Recover Windows" menu item if they seem to disappear. I also added many options in the latest version for configuring the visuals. You should look through the options and see what you can do to get rid of the lag. Although the fullscreen switcher is sometimes laggy with large/many windows, the keyboard shortcuts usually aren't. If you configure the "indicator window" to be smaller in the options, then there is virtually no lag at all with Windows Key + Arrow Key or Windows Key + Numpad Key hotkeys.
Aug 26, 2009 at 12:32 AM

I am extending my desktop onto a second monitor and I have to minimize the windows on the second monitor and expand them to get them to paint properly when I change desktops. I am using an HP G60-125NR laptop with AMD Turion X2 and nvidia video.