Great replacement for the old powertoy VDM

Topics: Idea Requests
Jun 4, 2007 at 11:06 AM
I demo software for a living and often have multiple items open on my desktop during the demo. Obviously you can task switch but I find the audience is so much MORE captivated and not lost if you can use virtual desktops and animation to move between them. Loved the old power toy and was hoping someone would pick up the flag and run with it. Bravo!

There are 2 items that I would love to see from VDM if at all possible. One is the ability for it to catch keystrokes for a screen regardless of which program you are in. As an example, if you are running a VPC on a desktop and it has focus, it would be great if there was a keystroke to change get the switcher windows+z.

And once in the switcher, it seems that keyboard input goes to the last application. Which is not that useful if you are displaying the switcher, Instead, I would humbly suggest you number the desktops and allow the user to hit a number from there to get to the desired desktop.

In any event, thanks for making my demos a bit more visual and entertaining.
Jun 5, 2007 at 9:41 PM
Edited Jun 5, 2007 at 9:42 PM
When the switcher opens, it is supposed to take the focus, so you should be able to use the keyboard in the switcher. This seems to be a bug. I'm not quite sure of what you mean by "a keystroke to change get the switcher". There are a variety of hotkeys already implemented (should I document them better?). You can use Windows Key + Numpad 0...9 or Windows Key + Arrow Keys from any program to switch desktops without going through the switcher. You can also configure these hotkeys through the options dialog. Thanks for using VVDM in your demos! Anything to spread its popularity is great!