Configuring Per-Desktop Backgrounds (0.5 RC)

Sep 2, 2007 at 7:57 AM
Just a question for per-desktop backgrounds: are they set via the application, or via the usual Windows options (right-click on desktop, etc.). I'm assuming the latter since I didn't see any further config options within VVDM.

Great release, btw. I blogged about your program:
http://eigenmind.blogspot.com/2007/08/virtual-desktops-on-windows-vista.html
Coordinator
Sep 3, 2007 at 12:24 AM
I'll edit the release page to mention this change: per-desktop backgrounds are off by default. You can turn them on in the first tab of the options dialog. It's the last checkbox. I decided to leave them off by default because of the slight lag that occurs. You can simply change the background using the normal background options in the control panel.

Oh yeah, sorry for not getting to previews within the taskbar mini-preview yet. I decided to go ahead and release a version since I hadn't done so in a while, so I'm working on it for the next release along with Expose-ish features.
Sep 3, 2007 at 2:13 AM
Edited Sep 3, 2007 at 2:14 AM
Thanks for the reply. I look forward to the new version

Also, for what it's worth, Expose-like features can be had on XP and Vista if you're running MS Intellipoint software with certain MS mice that have a clickable scroll wheel: http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/docs/instant_viewer.html

I have the requisite hardware and software on this end, and can confirm that it works.

I don't know how helpful (if any) that info is, but I thought you might want to know that :)

Keep up the good work
Sep 5, 2007 at 3:09 AM
The per-desktop backgrounds option is not working for me. In the previous version, I could setup each desktop with a different background, but the backgrounds would not be saved if I restarted VVD. With this version, I have the per-desktop backgrounds option checked, but the system will not setup different backgrounds for each desktop. When I switch backgrounds, it assigns that background to all desktops.
Coordinator
Sep 8, 2007 at 5:15 PM
Thanks for pointing this out. It is caused by the difference in Vista's and XP's desktop background settings. When I wrote the XP support, I assumed that Vista used the same scheme, however, it looks like it doesn't. I'll get this fixed for the next release.