Desktops as Application Sets

Topics: Idea Requests
Mar 12, 2008 at 5:33 PM
Folks,
Really like the app, nice job and thanks for providing it. I'd like to see the ability to Save All (or selected) Open Applications as Desktop Application Sets. That is, as a laptop user I frequently have to close up and move to another locale(the next airport). It would be really helpful if there were the ability to right click on the Switcher screen and have the ability to save all currently running applications (or a selection of applications) on that desktop as an "Application Set" that I could quickly then restart, in a desktop, the next time I bring up Switcher. Application sets stored away and named as "Windgate Project", or "Next Big Idea" could then be opened in any desktop by right clicking in Switcher and choosing that Application Set. It would be nice if the desktop then took on that name as well instead of the default "Desktop 1", "Desktop 2", etc.....

There may be a more elegant solution but I believe storing a link of the currently open file or, if not a file, the application link itself, would work. If I were editing a word file then a link to that file as opening it would start Word, if Outlook, then just the application start link, Outlook.exe.

In any case, this is why I put it in Discussion as others likely have more elegant approaches to this highly anticipated feature.

Thanks,
K. W. Landry
Apr 6, 2008 at 6:27 PM
The biggest problem with this is that it is impossible to know what file is open in a program or the program's state, etc. I could certainly have application sets that simply open the programs, but I the logic involved in trying to decide how to move around or open programs is rather daunting. I will consider something like this for the future, but I can't make any promises.
Apr 28, 2008 at 1:55 AM
To follow this up and recapitulate an earlier request by another user, the ability to open up a saved set of programs/websites/folders/files would be INCREDIBLY helpful. My interest is more in opening a pre-saved set of virtual desktops each with a single program/website/folder/file running in it rather than a single virtual desktop with multiple programs.

For my use, I'd like to have these "saved desktops" open up automatically upon booting. I have a set of computers that students use when they walk into the lab. When they turn on the computer I want them to be able to navigate between programs with the ease of this fantastic Virtual Desktop Manager. One simple(?) method would be if each virtual desktop appeared as a folder in the "Startup" folder. Subsequently, a set of programs/websites/folders/files could be dropped into each virtual desktop's folder and would load each time the computer boots.

Thanks.
E
May 6, 2008 at 10:55 PM
Edited May 6, 2008 at 10:57 PM
I'm adding a new ability to VVDM that would allow this. You will be able to start VVDM using the command line arguments "number:program" (ex. "2:notepad.exe") and it will start (and lock) the program onto that desktop. You will also be able to use desktop names in the next version, so you could for example command "Internet:iexplore.exe" which would open Internet Explorer on a desktop you labeled "Internet." You will also be able to switch desktops from the command line. Note also that all of these command line arguments only work when VVDM has already started, so you could create a script of some kind that launches VVDM, starts your other startup programs using VVDM, and switches to another desktop. All of this will be documented in the help file when the next version is released. I hope that this will fulfill your requests. Any other suggestions?