Windows Server 2008, can't get previews to display

Topics: Problems
Aug 7, 2008 at 6:12 PM
Hi,

Thanks for an amazing free VDM!

I am using it on Windows Server 2008. Works great, except the preview overlays don't show anything. I have the windows desktop experience service enabled, and I'm using the Aero theme on a fast 3D gfx card. (Windows key + tab does the vista windows carousel in 3D (sorry, don't know the real name for that feature)).

Have I failed to enable something? Can anyone point me in the direction of a setting, or settings, I should look at?

Great software, many thanks.

Michael.
Dec 22, 2008 at 3:01 AM
I am experiencing the same problem.  Is there a solution to this problem?
-Farrell
Coordinator
Dec 22, 2008 at 2:26 PM
I have never tested it on Windows Server 2008 and I doubt that I will be able to in the near future. If someone who is using Windows Server wants to debug it for me, it would be greatly appreciated.
Dec 23, 2008 at 2:26 AM
If you give me some tips on where to begin for debugging, I would be glad to help out. 

By the way, this problem is not a big issue, at least, not for me.  I find that VDM does what I want and need it to do.  Previews would be nice, but I could survive without them.

-Farrell
Dec 28, 2008 at 4:15 PM
Hi

What is referred as Preview ? I can press [WIN] + Z and get view of all of my 4 screens on Win2008 STD with Aero.

Tzanimir
Mar 5, 2009 at 5:30 PM
Edited Mar 5, 2009 at 6:08 PM
By preview I meant, in Options, General, "Show the mini-preview when the mouse moves over the main tray icon". I get a gray opaque overlay, but no contents.

The image of each desktop in the full screen switcher [WIN] + Z works fine, so having no mini-preview is no big deal.
I tried the exact same VDM on the same Server 2008 machine today - 6 months after starting this post - and it is working.
The only change I have made is to check 'enable transparency' in Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Personalization\Window Color and Appearance.
Great!

Michael.