Cant Create Program rules

Topics: How To, Problems
Feb 23, 2012 at 6:51 PM
Edited Feb 23, 2012 at 6:52 PM

The options are mostly easy to figure out... except program rules... there is no documentation and the help file doesnt help at all for this..........

First, I'm using Windows 7 for the record... and version 2.5.4436.26118

1) clicking add program just adds an empty entry... so I remove that

2) I tried typing "Firefox" into add a program and then assiging it to desktop 1. I switched to desktop 2 and opened Firefox, nothing.. it just opens on Desktop 2...

3) I tried typing firefox.exe into "Add a program" and again assigning it to desktop 1... but same thing... just opens on desktop 2... doesnt move to desktop 1

Also... attempting the suggested "hover over an option for more information" also produces nothing... so far I'm not favoring Dextpot (as webpages that refresh cause the desktop to switch desktops, regardless of my app rules and options there) , not favoring DeskSpaces, but its the best so far.. just I have no way to turn off the cube animation to speed things up.... and Finestra looks like it would get the job done if the program rules could be configured!! Nobody else here has had an answer to this same question either....

I've also tried to drag  & drop an application EXE and shortucut into the window.... I'm out of options for this....

If I cant get this to work I'm going to try VirtuaWin or go back to deskspaces....

Feb 25, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Thanks for reporting the issues with program rules. I guess I didn't fully test that area of the new options window before release, but you'll be happy to know I have now fixed all of the issues you described, and then some. I should be releasing it in a bug fix release shortly.

Although it now properly displays help text on hover, I'll summarize a little. You have to enter the name of the EXE of the application, without the extension. You can also use the wildcards * and ?.

Feb 25, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Thanks, I'll be looking for the update, HOWEVEr, please note that I did write in the second item that I had tried using firefox.exe in the program rules and assigned to desktop 1 with no success ... you responded and said that I should use the exe.... which is what I had already tried....

Feb 26, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Yeah, I just wanted to confirm that that was the intended behavior. It was just completely broken in the last version.