Desktop Switching Animation

Feb 28, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Hey I like the desktop switching animations. Seems to work smoothly on my systems.

Just one thing I have noticed for systems with two monitors side-by-side, when switching from desktop 1 to 2, the windows on desktop one slide left but only by one screen width. This means that the windows from screen 2 slide left into screen 1 and sit there momentarily until the windows from desktop 2 slide in. Just wondering if the contents of desktop 1 should actually slide all the way through by the width of two screens?

However, thinking about this, you may not be able to determine how a user sets up their multiple screens. They could be side-by-side or top-to-bottom.

Apr 13, 2012 at 6:47 PM
Edited Apr 13, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Agreed, it's a bit odd looking on multiple monitors, so much that I just disabled it (well, partially because of that, and partially because of another issue).

I'm pretty sure one can determine from Windows the arrangement, but maybe not as it doesn't really have to be aligned perfect, especially if the resolutions are different.  In any case, a setting in Options->Monitors to choose the layout (side by side vs. top to bottom) would suffice.  Then the total of the respective horiz/vert resolutions (which are already known) can be used for the animation calculations.

This would still not work well for someone with more than 2 monitors that are not arranged all in a straight line.  But really, how many people have a configuration like that and still use virtual desktops as well?  Not many I imagine.

Coordinator
Apr 14, 2012 at 10:03 PM

The windows should actually slide all the way out of the visible monitor viewspace. I can determine everything there is to know about the monitor configuration in code; this seems to just be a bug. My general algorithm is to find the maximum bounds that all monitors take up and move all the windows out of the entire viewspace. I unfortunately don't have a regular multiple-monitor setup to test this with, but I'll fix it at some point when I do. Thanks for reporting it.