Font problem and fix

Oct 3, 2008 at 9:45 PM

Hello,

I've been using your software for around 8-9 months now, both on Windows XP (64-bit) and Vista Business (64-bit).  Shortly after you released version 0.9.1, I started getting .NET error messages, complaining about something with the system font Segoe UI.  The message would appear only if I changed desktops, and usually the program would crash after I hit ok.  On some occasions it would switch to the desktop anyway, though the Windows on the desktop would be inactive, and I wouldn't be able to do anything with them.  I assumed it was probably a bug with the software, however whenever I regressed a few versions, it would do the same thing.  Eventually, I came to realize that I didn't have much of a need for multiple desktops on my Vista machine, so I removed the software and left it at that.  Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of this error message or any of the debug output that accompanied it.

About a week ago, for some completely unknown reason, all of my system fonts became either bold, italic, or both, and would vary in size.  I hadn't changed any of the font settings so the actual cause of this is a mystery to me.  What is even more strange is that when I would go into the Color and Appearance control panel applet, the fonts would still be set to the system defaults, yet they wouldn't be displayed that way.  I did some looking around and found a discussion thread (listed below) where someone had written a registry key that would fix the font problems.  I downloaded the fix, merged it into the registry and after the reboot, all of my system fonts were back to what they were supposed to be.  I also noticed that some of the fonts that I had previously thought were italic by default, in fact, weren't, so it looks like this problem has been affecting me for quite some time.

On a hunch, I decided to give your software a try again, since the error message I received mentioned the problem being with the system font.  So I downloaded version 0.9.1, installed, and then ran the program.  I did a lot of intense desktop and window switching, yet I haven't run across the problem I had before.  So it would appear that, whatever caused the system fonts to change sporadically, was the reason why your software would crash.  Applying the registry fix for the font problem fixes the font related error and crash in your program.

Here's the link to the forum with the registry fix:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/microsoft-support/windows-vista-support/233328-problem-italic-fonts-everywhere-arial.html

Just thought I'd let you know in case other users experience the same problem.  Again, sorry I don't have the error message or debug output.

Thanks for this awesome program!