Windows Server 2008: how to get different backgrounds for different desktops?

Dec 22, 2008 at 3:08 AM
I see an option for per-desktop backgrounds but do not see how to set the backgrounds for each desktop.  Setting the background for one desktop seems to set the background for all desktops.  What am I missing?
-Farrell
Coordinator
Dec 22, 2008 at 2:27 PM
You should be able to set each desktop's desktop background through the regular control panel. Just switch to the desktop before opening the control panel.
Dec 23, 2008 at 2:23 AM
I did not think setting each desktop through the control panel worked.  At first glance, it appears that setting the background on any desktop set the background for ALL desktops. However, I now realize that setting the desktop background for the first time of a desktop will set the background of all desktops whose backgrounds HAVE NOT BEEN set.   As I went to each desktop to set its background, the desktops remembered the background that I had assigned it.  In other words, once I assigned a background to a desktop, it was unaffected by how I set other desktop backgrounds.

Thanks for you reply.
-Farrell
Jan 6, 2009 at 12:57 AM
I appreciated the advice given, however, when I tried to apply this, I found that the background was still changing and not sticking to each desktop as was hoped. I am running Vista 64 Home (I think - and I can't quickly check this out I find). I would like to be able to have a different background to set the scene - for recognition if you like, and to have different programmes available on each desktop and represented by either or both of their icons or icons represnting their output files. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks pMac